Tuesday, October 6, 2009

White Lab Coats- In, Medical Tests- Out

Yesterday, the president hosted a confederacy of medical dupes, many of whom forgot to bring their photo-op neccessity; the white coat. So, White House professionals quickly handed out white coats that they happened to have on hand. Those big money assistants sure are coming in handy these days. The Obama dog needed some more Alpo, and Michelle Obama needed an afternoon latte, so a case and a cup was also grabbed along the way.

In other healthcare takeover news, this Wall St. Journal article mentions again, how adamently opposed the president is to wasteful medical tests, like MRI's and CAT scans. The kind of tests that oncologists and cardiologists use to diagnose their patients. It must be more cost effective to just guess whether or not a patient has a heart condition or cancer. Give em chemo; just don't test em to make sure it's actually needed. Schedule a bypass, but for the love of God, don't order another echocardiogram.

When I was 12, I was hit by a car. Lucky for me, I initially showed no signs of damage. However, about 10 months later, I began to have horrible chronic leg pain. In 1988, my rural healthcare workers didn't have the latest technology. I saw a Rheumatologist, probably an Oncologist, and more doctors than I can remember. X-Rays and even a Bone Scan didn't show anything that could cause such symptoms. After months of inconclusive diagnoses, I was brought to a children's hospital in Chicago, and within a week, a brand spanking new MRI confirmed that I had a herniated disk in my back which required surgery. A month later, I was recovering from surgery, and my leg was pain free, and remains so to this day. If cost cutters like Obama had ruled the day, my Roy Rogers/ John Wayne limp would still prevail, and I would likely be living a sedentary lifestyle, unable to be physically active do to severe leg pain, and probably additional pain acquired over the years.

Tests may cost extra and in cases prove worthless, but they are humane in allowing doctors to see what the naked eye cannot, and from there, begin the kind cure.

No comments:

Post a Comment